Dental implants are artificial teeth roots that are used to hold a tooth in place. They are normally used for patients who have lost teeth as a result of an injury or disease. The cost of the procedure may vary. It is always advisable to go to different places that offer dental implants and compare the prices. In the UK the cost may range anywhere from 1000 to 2800 pounds.
For someone living in the US, the cost would be anywhere between $ 1500 to $ 2500. Once a patient has been able to identify a clinic with reasonable and affordable rates, the next thing he / she would have to do is to choose the right surgeon. This is very important as the surgeon will be handling a lot of delicate procedures, and his / her qualifications need to be above par. There are some questions that the doctor should be asked, such as how many dental implants has he / she performed, what his / her qualifications are, how many complications developed, and how the complications had been handled. It is also important for the patient to know the type of implants that will be used for the operation, and how reliable they are. Some patients can also be allowed to interview other patients who had the procedure done by the same surgeon to try and gauge how the experience had been for them; during, and after.
Dental implant procedures are quite delicious, and as a result of that, complications to tend to arise. Here are some of the known dental implants problems;
Infection – this complication comes after the implant has been placed into the jaw, and the wound becomes infected. This is highly possible due to the amount of germs that are present in the human mouth.
Rejection – The implants are a foreign object, and the body is known to reject anything foreign. It is possible for the body to reject dental implants, and it does so by pushing it out of the jaw.
Overload – if more than one tooth needs an implant, it is important that each tooth is assigned its own implant. It can cause pressure on the teeth and the jaw, if more than one tooth was used on one dental implant at any given time.
Implant failure – although this problem is less frequent nowdays, it is still likely that the material used to make the implant breaks. This will result in the implant being removed, and needing replacement. The number of patients suffering from this problem has reduced thanks to the increase in the quality of production of the materials used to make the implants.
Bone loss – this is also known as periodontal disease. It is the loss of bone around a tooth. It can also occur after an implant has been placed. It is important that the implant is x-rayed and checked regularly to ensure that this complication does not form.
Inflammation – this is a dental implants problem that can form as a result of other complications. Inflammation is the most common of dental implants problems.
Incision line opening – it is possible that the incision line used to cut the into the jaw to place the implants, could reopen even after the procedure. For this reason, it is important that a patient attends peridic dental check ups to ensure that the wound heals properly.
After Care For Dental Implants
After the procedure, frequent checks and general aftercare of the wound will be required.
It is important for the patient to follow the instructions given to him / her by the surgeon. All surgeons are required to give patients tips on how they can care for their new implants, to prevent dental implant problems. Toothbrushes in that particular area of the mouth should be avoided, as it will be too soon. The patient can also use the special mouthwash that the doctor should provide.
Following the initial days after the operation, the patient can brush their teeth as they would any other. A special toothbrush will be needed to clean the abutments. The brush should be slightly bent as it will give the patient access to difficult areas surrounding the abutments.
Typically, the implants should be treated as would the other teeth. This means they can also be flossed. The abutments should be flossed too. The patient should set up cleaning appointments with the doctor to have the implants professionally cleaned and checked thoroughly.
After a short period of time, the implants should have healed completely.
Dental implant surgery shows a high success rate of up to 95%. Majority of the patients who have chosen to undergo this procedure are found to be happy with their replacements and their new set of teeth. Therefore, implants show to be the best solution to the problem of missing teeth – trumping over bridges and dentures. However, even if dental restorations prove to be the best, there are instances when dental implant surgery pain and problems arise.
Although dental implant surgery pain occurs, it is very rare. Some of the common causes of dental implant surgery pain are fractures implants, rejected implants, poor implant placement, incorrect positioning, and low quality implants used.
One of the main reasons for tooth implant problems is that the implant failed to fuse together with the jawbone. This is called failure to osseointegrate. If there is not enough amount of jawbone to fuse with or the bone has been infected, it can lead to failure to fuse with the implant.
Too much stress or overloading can cause implant fraction. Incorrect position can also cause implant fraction.
A person who has the habit of smoking or heavy drinking can compromise the success of the surgery. Moreover, this can lead to other problems such as implant fracture or gum disease.
What Causes Dental Implant Rejection?
There are several causes of dental implant rejection. These includes insufficiency bone to fuse, infection, stress, and habitual grinding of teeth during sleep called bruxism. Poor dental hygiene can also lead to dental implant surgery pain and implant rejection.
When there is insufficient bone to fuse, usually the patient is subjected to bone grafting to increase the available jawbone. However, some patients are hesitant to undergo this procedure which is why they try to find other ways to get the implant without grafting. If the dentist recommends bone grafting, make sure that you follow the advice.
If the implant does not fuse properly into the jawbone, the implant can move and be dislocated. This can cause discomfort and pain. If this happens, a new type of implant should be used or a new restoration should be attached into the implant. In some cases, bone grafting may be required.
Infection can be caused by contamination during surgery. In some instances, bacteria can already be hiding in the jawbone and causes dental implant surgery pain afterwards.
Stress on teeth can also cause the fixture to fail. Too much stress can lead to overloading. In this instance, it fails and the adjunct teeth may be compromised.[Top]
Do you want to have beautiful and straighter teeth without brackets? If yes, then a consultation with your orthodontist can help you decide if Invisalign treatment is the right one for you. It is important to find a good orthodontic practice where this type of treatment is done with immense care by experienced and qualified Invisalign service providers so that they can achieve greater success.
- Select an Invisalign provider with experience and expertise – Before undergoing any dental treatment, you want to check if the Invisalign provider has good experience and expertise in this field. You obviously do not want to be the first person to get the treatment and as such, you would be willing to talk to past patients who have availed the service of the provider earlier. The experience of the orthodontist is an important factor in giving you pleasing and satisfactory smile.
- Check the qualification of your orthodontist – The orthodontist should have completed proper training and done specialization in correcting teeth, jaw alignment and abnormalities of your facial structure. A dentist who has higher accreditation will not always charge you more but can help in improving your smile and thus, overall appearance. It is important to check the qualification of the Invisalign provider to know if you have chosen the right one for the treatment.
- Know how the orthodontist will perform the treatment – If you are having teeth misalignment, the orthodontist will use fixed braces, clear aligners and other appliances to give proper alignment to the teeth, fill in the gaps in between the teeth and thus, correct malocclusion problems . They work with patients of all age group and mostly children to correct their dental complications that might be the reason why they do not smile in public places.
- Consider the location of the Invisalign provider – Although you will find there are several dentists who provide invisalign treatment, they do not all apply to you. Obviously, the location of the dental practice plays an important role in choosing a dental surgeon who resides near your house or office. Depending on the type of treatment you need to perform or the complexity of the case, you may be required to see your dentist once every 2 to 6 weeks within a period of 6 months.
- Seek for referrals and get necessary feedback – Many people do not spend sufficient time in conducting research about the dental treatment and practiceer when performing any kind of treatment. The good news is that the price for Invisalign is more standard than that for traditional braces. However, the feedback of patients may vary depending on the dental practice they might have visited for their treatment. Make sure you do your homework in order to get the best possible treatment for your dental care.
It is a wise decision to talk to several; Invisalign providers and ask relevant questions about the treatment. Ask them how many cases they have handled in the past and try to read online reviews of the provider you have chosen. A little bit of research work will help you regain your beautiful smile and treasure it for a lifetime.[Top]